The Test Facilities Operation, Maintenance and Engineering (TFOME) contract at the NASA Glenn Research Center providesengineering and technical services in the aeronautics, space power and propulsion test facilities. We are currently looking for an experienced journeyman level mechanic. The Journeyman Level Mechanical Technician will apply technical knowledge to perform routine and non routine mechanical tasks following detailed work instructions. Performs such tasks as troubleshooting, modifying, and repairing of test related hardware & facility devices or assemblies. Will be expected to use hand and machine tools on a regular basis in order to maintain complex mechanical components & facility systems related to the safe operations of high temperature fuel systems. Will train with existing facility technicians in the areas of hardware builds, set up of test articles & associated equipment, facility check sheets, and qualified facility operations. Work schedules will involve rotating shifts and overtime as needed.
HX5 Sierra, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
FUNCTION OF POSITION
Performs mechanical-related technical effort on test laboratory, facility and/or research hardware and mechanical systems. Assists in the preparation and operation of the laboratory test apparatus or test facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. May operate facility overhead crane, bucket trucks, man-lifts, forklifts, and portable cranes. Provides rigging for lifting equipment and material, including lifting straps, chain hoists, and come-alongs.
2. May weld horizontally, overhead, and vertically using oxy-acetylene, AC-DC electric arc, M.I.G., and T.I.G. using a variety of material including stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum, copper, brass, etc.
3. May operate large mechanical tools such as a drill press, power hacksaw, band saw, shears, pipe threaders, brakes, rollers, lathes, and grinders. Operates small power tools including air wenches, drills, grinders, etc.
4. May lay out and build complex tubing systems using flaring machines and tubing benders.
5. May disassemble repairs, reassembles and verifies various types of valves, valve operators, and pressure regulators. Must be familiar with the operating environment to ensure hardware materials are compatible with flow media properties including pressure and temperature.
6. May operate hydraulic systems, high-pressure gas systems including gas tubers, pressure reduction stations, pressure pumps, and seals, etc.
7. May work with and have a basic understanding of environmental test chambers, mass spectrometer leak detectors, and vacuum systems.
8. Assists in the installation and operation of intricate research test packages in various test facilities.
9. May fabricate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical control test panels, and special test equipment. May operate, maintain, and calibrate leak detection systems.
10. May perform general maintenance on mechanical vacuum pumping equipment, diffusion pumps, cryo-pumps, steam ejector systems, heat exchangers,and cryogenic vaporizers
11. May perform inspection and evaluation of mechanical equipment and facility operating systems. Make recommendations related to maintenance and repair of same.
12. May fabricate, install, and operate cryogenic systems including liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid nitrogen, or liquid helium.
1. Must have a minimum of 4 years working experience as a Journeyman Level Mechanic such as a maintenance mechanic, machine repair technician. Completion of a 4-year State approved apprenticeship program with a Journeyman’s certificate highly desired or have equivalent vocational school training with sufficient combined work experience and skills.
2. Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of research test facilities and associated equipment.
3. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions from engineering or supervision.
4. Ability to use own judgment and decisions to allow continuity of work flow.
5. Must be self-motivated and a "Team Player" with good interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Must be able to organize time and assignments to properly prioritize efforts for maximum effectiveness.