The Test Facilities Operation, Maintenance and Engineering (TFOME) contract at the NASA Glenn Research Center providesengineering and technical services in the areas of aeropropulsion and space propulsion and power test facilities. TFOME management is dedicated to excellence in service and to providing outstanding technical opportunities for our employees. We specialize in providing unique products and services to NASA Glenn. We are currently seeking a Dynamic Data Systems Electrical Engineer candidate to join our team that will be providing facility and test engineering support as part of the TFOME contract at the NASA Glenn Research Center.
FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Performs a scope of work involving study, design, implementation, and/or project management of a wide variety of electrical, instrumentation, control, and data systems for facilities, test related apparatus, and specialty hardware and software. Should have a strong background in time and frequency domain analysis. Familiarity with order domain analysis is also a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Sound background in digital signal processing, to include: Digital filtering, FIR and IIR, FFT, IFFT, Convolution, correlation, Analog-to-digital conversion. Sampling theory, anti-aliasing, resampling, decimation, interpolation.
2) Experience with analog circuit theory and filtering for anti-aliasing and noise reduction. Familiarization with system synchronization, time codes, IRIG-B, PTP, NTP and GPS.
3) Designs and develops electronic integrated circuits, controls, data and instrumentation hardware, subsystems, and systems for specialty process systems, aerospace hardware, and test rigs.
3) Provides technical direction to electronics technicians and electricians in the installation, checkout, calibration, troubleshooting and operation of electrical, controls, data, and instrumentation hardware and systems.
4) Develops, and updates schematics, drawings, calibration documentation, technical procedures, and quality control (ISO 9001) documentation.
5) Prepares purchase requisitions and hardware/software specifications for electronic/electrical equipment. Evaluates vendor proposals and provides technical recommendations for procurement.
6) Support large and small scale test operations including operations of control, instrumentation, and data systems.
7) Designs and maintains communication networks running over TCP/IP.
8) Provide support for training of other engineers and technicians.
9) Develops plans and requirements for upgrading and maintaining facility Data Acquisition Systems and software.
10) Provides support for special tasks involving detailed engineering analyses.
11) Develops presentations, and presents at or can be expected to be a part of design reviews, safety reviews, and other technical presentations.
1) Typically possesses a BS or higher degree in Computer, Electrical or related engineering discipline. Co-op experience a definitive plus. Additional years of related experience may count as educational equivalency. Will typically have specialized knowledge/experience of one or more aspects related to Electrical, Electronic, Data Systems or Computer Engineering. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are highly desirable.
2) Direct knowledge of Matlab, Python, C++, Fortran, Visual Basic, AUTOCAD, MATHCAD, and SPICE are highly desirable. Familiarity with MS Office products is a must.
3) Strong background in time and frequency domain analysis. Familiarity with order domain analysis is also a plus (FFT, STFT, Order tracking).
4) Direct knowledge of National Electric Code and familiarity with Hazardous Area and general OSHA safety classifications are highly desirable.
5) Direct knowledge of ISA Standards where applicable is highly desirable.
6) Understanding of cryogenics, power distribution systems to 480 VAC, basic semiconductor device theory, steady state and transient data acquisition systems are highly desirable.
7) Understanding of specialized devices such as limit switches, pressure, vacuum and flow switches, proximity detectors, flame and combustible gas detectors, photocells, thermocouples, transducers, etc.