The Test Facilities Operation, Maintenance and Engineering (TFOME) team at the NASA Glenn Research Center providesengineering and technical services in the aeronautics, space power and propulsion test facilities. We are currently looking for experienced journeyman level mechanics. The Journeyman Level Mechanical Technician will apply technical knowledge to perform routine and non routine mechanical tasks following detailed work instructions. Performs such tasks as troubleshooting, modifying, and repairing of test related hardware & facility devices or assemblies. Will be expected to use hand and machine tools on a regular basis in order to maintain complex mechanical components & facility systems related to the safe operations of high temperature fuel systems. Will train with existing facility technicians in the areas of hardware builds, set up of test articles & associated equipment, facility check sheets, and qualified facility operations. Work schedules will involve rotating shifts and overtime as needed.
FUNCTION OF POSITION
Performs mechanical-related technical effort on test laboratory, facility and/or research hardware and mechanical systems. Assists in the preparation and operation of the laboratory test apparatus or test facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. May operate facility overhead crane, bucket trucks, man-lifts, forklifts, and portable cranes. Provides rigging for lifting equipment and material, including lifting straps, chain hoists, and come-alongs.
2. May weld horizontally, overhead, and vertically using oxy-acetylene, AC-DC electric arc, M.I.G., and T.I.G. using a variety of material including stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum, copper, brass, etc.
3. May operate large mechanical tools such as a drill press, power hacksaw, band saw, shears, pipe threaders, brakes, rollers, lathes, and grinders. Operates small power tools including air wenches, drills, grinders, etc.
4. May lay out and build complex tubing systems using flaring machines and tubing benders.
5. May disassemble repairs, reassembles and verifies various types of valves, valve operators, and pressure regulators. Must be familiar with the operating environment to ensure hardware materials are compatible with flow media properties including pressure and temperature.
6. May operate hydraulic systems, high-pressure gas systems including gas tubers, pressure reduction stations, pressure pumps, and seals, etc.
7. May work with and have a basic understanding of environmental test chambers, mass spectrometer leak detectors, and vacuum systems.
8. Assists in the installation and operation of intricate research test packages in various test facilities.
9. May fabricate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical control test panels, and special test equipment. May operate, maintain, and calibrate leak detection systems.
10. May perform general maintenance on mechanical vacuum pumping equipment, diffusion pumps, cryo-pumps, steam ejector systems, heat exchangers,and cryogenic vaporizers
11. May perform inspection and evaluation of mechanical equipment and facility operating systems. Make recommendations related to maintenance and repair of same.
12. May fabricate, install, and operate cryogenic systems including liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid nitrogen, or liquid helium.
Candidate must have at least 2 years of verifiable experience and have a very good understanding of the proper use of hand & machine tools, with a strong ability to assemble, repair and troubleshoot complex mechanical systems.
COVID-19 Regulations: As a federal government contractor, we comply with all customer, federal, state, and local requirements regarding COVID-19 regulations, including COVID-19 vaccinations and testing requirements. This means that our employees and new hires, whether working at a customer site, or working remotely, will need to adhere to applicable COVID-19 requirements. These requirements may include vaccination, attestations regarding your vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, and you may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative test results as a condition of your employment. Requests for an accommodation will be reviewed and assessed under applicable laws and regulations.