FUNCTION OF POSITION
Works under supervision of senior engineers, supervision, and works in conjunction with senior lead technician and continues to build-on skills and abilities in LHS. Performs engineering support in the design and development of purge systems for both GSFC lab use and Flight Project use both on-site and off-site. Engineering oversight may occur during any phase of assembly, integration, testing, and launch site campaigns as it relates to Purge Systems.
Will provide LHS support and resolution of technical issues involving purge systems. This support includes review of technical documents such contamination control plans, purge plans or technical requirements from Flight Projects, and any other purge-related technical requirements that exist. Support includes other duties associated within area of assignment and/or as directed by management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists leads and lab manager to ensure lab compliance as it relates to helps coordinate maintenance activities inside of cleanroom with maintenance and project(s), and ensures overall lab activities are in-line with government customer requirements.
- May also perform temporary duties in other areas or other duties associated with area of assignment.
- Prepare lab procedures, test procedures, and certification package for purge and/or any other purge related hardware assembly.
- Assists lead technician for oversight for fabrication and testing of flex hoses, pressure vessels, etc.
- Familiarity with ASME SECTION IX BOILER & PRESSURE VESSEL CODE G.T.A.W.
- Responsible for performing pressure vessel calculations per applicable ASME Pressure Vessel Code and/or by customer specifications (i.e. vessels, tanks, piping, valves, etc.)
- Provide technical direction and develop procedures in the monitoring of clean systems during all phases of process system hardware development and operations
- Competency and working knowledge in the operation of leak detectors, gas analysis, particulate analysis, and moisture analysis to help author working procedures
- PVS testing requirements include ability to possess general knowledge of test equipment (i.e. calibration controllers, data acquisition systems, precision pressure indicators, test bench setups, leak test & pressure test, relief valve set point verification testing on facility and project pressure systems, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge and application of fluid and gas systems is a plus
NATURE OF POSITION CHALLENGES
- Selects and adapts plans, techniques, designs or layouts to execute LHS related activities in regards to procedures and control of documentation. Contacts personnel in related activities to resolve problems and coordinate the work with lead technician and management and will attend all meeting required by position.
- Reviews, analyzes and integrates the technical work of others as to procedures and documentation.
- Ability to adapt to weekend and holiday support on short notice and extended hours as required.
- Some travel may be required to support LHS and/or management requirements.
- Will be tasked to evaluate risk, provide risk assessments, and FEMA’s/FEMCA’s.
Works under the direct supervision of the I&T Manager and works in coordination of lead technician.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Does not normally provide supervision to others unless assigned as a task lead. Lead personnel are responsible for providing technical direction and organizing workload.
Assignments must be completed using available allocated resources in a timely manner to meet project cost and schedule requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years of direct experience required and/or combined with education is acceptable.
- Must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Fluids Engineering (preferred), chemical engineering, civil engineering, physics engineering, or related field of study.
- Must be capable of directing and assigning tasks to LHS technicians when lead tech is absent or supervision deems necessary.
- Must possess general knowledge and understanding of Purge Systems and Purge Operations.
- Must possess general knowledge and understanding of Pressure Vessel Systems (ASME – Section VIII Division 1 and 2). The following knowledge areas are highly desirable:
- Knowledge/skills in welding codes – ASME, A.W.S., API and AWWA is preferable.
- Knowledge and experience in Welding and Fabrication is helpful.
- Knowledge of piping and pipe schedules, flanges, and fittings is helpful.
- General knowledge of contamination control cleanliness standards as it relates to flight hardware.
- Capable of providing accurate cost estimates for LHS related operations to the I&T Manager.
- Must be able to organize time, assignments and properly prioritize effort for maximum effectiveness.
- Willingness to support other functions such as procurement of hardware by working with the purchasing department.
- Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and successfully completing assigned training, or, other required training, or, certifications as directed by ETIS II management.
- Must be able to obtain Secret Security Clearance when deemed necessary.
- Communicating and interfacing with other departments and project engineers to insure on-time delivery of product.
- Maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to promote a team approach with a team attitude.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Works from ladders, scaffolding, catwalks, cranes, boatswain chairs, suspended platforms or cages, etc.
- Works while bending, standing, stooping, kneeling or in a prone position for extended times.
- Works in closely confined spaces at times.
- Lifts and carries items up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to use hearing and vision protection and respiratory equipment.
- Ability to work in a full cleanroom garment ensemble when required.
- Work indoors and out in high and low temperatures and in all types of weather conditions.
- Work in dusty, noisy, hot, high humidity, dirty and greasy environment.
- Work in cleanroom(s) wearing appropriate cleanroom ensemble
- Work in areas where there may be materials that are irritating to eyes, nose, throat and skin while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Work with other personnel in a group that is team-oriented.
- Accept and work within established policies and procedures pertaining to company rules and regulations.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINES INVOLVED IN WORK TASK
Desktop computers utilizing Microsoft Office Suite software including Word and Excel. Working knowledge and experience with Pro-E and/or AutoCAD highly desirable.
CRITICALITY OF ATTENDANCE
Regular daily attendance and reporting on time is required to maintain shift effectiveness. Overtime (Holidays, Weekends, Scheduled and Unscheduled) and Shift Work may be required
I am able to perform the duties of this position with or without accommodations.