FUNCTION OF POSITION
Performs support in the development and maintenance of process systems both for GSFC lab use and project purge systems. Provide operational support of these systems for flight projects both at GSFC and project specific sites during any phase of assembly, integration, and test and launch site preparations under direction of Lead personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparing system for assembly per work order, sketch, or drawing
- Fabricate and test flex hoses as required
- Assist in fabrication, build-up and assembly of pressure panels
- Will be required to be certified as a welding operator in accordance with ASME SECTION IX BOILER & PRESSURE VESSEL CODE G.T.A.W. and meet all procedure requirements
- Assist with inspection of Pressure vessels components
- Assist in maintaining and monitoring of clean systems during all phases of process system hardware development and operations
- Maintain test equipment calibration requirements within the lab
- Able to learn and develop proficiency in the operation of Leak detectors, performs gas analysis, particulate analysis, and moisture analysis
- PVS testing requirements include ability to learn and operate test equipment to include calibration controllers, data acquisition systems, precision pressure indicators and test bench setups, setup and perform Leak test pressure test and relief valve set point verification testing on facility and project pressure systems
- Advanced knowledge and application of purge systems, PVS, and high pressure gas systems a plus
NATURE OF POSITION CHALLENGES
- Nature of position as described in Engineering Technicians Mechanical Integration, same job classification level
- Ability to setup and support testing activities
- Ability to support integration activities
- Must be able to follow procedures, plans, techniques, designs, or layouts
- Must be able to contact senior personnel in an efficient manner to resolve problems under supervision
- Must be able to work in proper weld and high pressure gas PPE
- Must be able to work with chemicals to develop clean process systems
- Must understand safe welding, high pressure gas practices, and pressure vessels
- Ability to adapt to weekend and holiday support on short notice and extended hours as required
- Ability to provide flight project support as required on travel for extended periods of time
Works under the direct supervision of a senior technician, Lead Personnel or Technical Supervisor.
Assignments must be completed using available allocated resources in a timely manner to meet project cost and schedule requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and successfully completing the following training: hazard communication, personal protective equipment, IT security and other required training or certifications as directed by ETIS II management.
- Education or years’ experience commensurate with skill level required for position complexity as determined by management with a minimum of 2 years’ actual hands-on operation of LH&S systems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Physical Requirements per Engineering Technicians Mechanical Integration, same job classification level
- Work must be performed with proper welding PPE
- Works while bending, standing, stooping, kneeling, or in a prone position for extended times.
- Lifts and carries items up to 35 pounds, sometimes up and down stairways, where lifting devices and hoists are not available.
- Pushes and pulls heavy objects.
- Ability to use hearing and vision protection and respiratory equipment.
- Ability to distinguish eight color panel display.
- Ability to handle stress and work well under pressure
- Multi-Tasking Ability, Organizational Skills required.
- Work with other personnel in a group that is Team Oriented.
- Work environment per Engineering Technicians Mechanical Integration, same job classification level
- Work indoors in a controlled weld booth or on the floor in properly setup hot work areas
- Work in dusty, noisy, hot, high humidity, dirty, and greasy environment.
- Work in areas where there may be materials that are irritating to eyes, nose, throat, and skin while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Work on barges, transports, airplanes and at remote facility supporting purge operations during spacecraft/instrument development though launch
- Accept and work within established policies and procedures pertaining to company rules and regulations.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINES INVOLVED IN WORK TASK
- Equipment and Machines per Engineering Technicians Mechanical Integration, same job classification level
- Welding machines, pressurant and purge gases.
- Mass spectrometer, gas analysis equipment
- Tools to prepare weldment for proper joint configuration
- Welding PPE.
- Calibration controllers, data acquisition systems, precision pressure indicators and test bench setups
- Cranes, fork lifts.
- Desktop computers utilizing Microsoft office suite software including Word and Excel. Regular daily attendance and reporting on time is required.
CRITICALITY OF ATTENDANCE
Regular daily attendance and reporting on time is required to maintain shift effectiveness. Overtime (Holidays, Weekends, Scheduled and Unscheduled) and Shift Work may be required
I am able to perform the duties of this position with or without accommodations.